Monday, 30 June 2014

An Antique Collar, French Knots and Needle Felting

I have almost completed a piece of work I've had on the go for what seems like years - it just needs to be stretched and framed now.  The work is part of the decay and repair project I'm working on and it started life as a very badly damaged antique lace collar.  
Using a muslin background I needle-felted into some of the holes and embroidered around them with French knots, trying to create a drifting feeling of on-going repairs - I wanted to create a feeling of 'preciousness', and to capture the love and care that goes into preserving and restoring a treasured possession. 

 I simply had to photograph it with a moth - I love the idea that the beautiful and tiny moth caused such decay in the first place!  I now need to stretch and frame the embroidery - I am hoping to organize an exhibition around this theme of decay and repair in the new year - fingers crossed!
I also photographed some moths from my much treasured and very old collection as part of the same theme.

I am linking up with Mary over at Mosaic Monday.

Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Decay and Repair

 Since last week I have managed to make another six index cards for the ICAD challenge and I have been keeping to the theme of decay and repair. I have used some odds and ends of antique lace that are badly in need of repair and put them together with moth images and hand embroidery.  For anyone that is interested I have some more photos on this project on my previous blog post. 
I am sharing what's on my work desk for WOYWW over at Julia's Stamping Ground.

Monday, 23 June 2014


I really do adore moths!  Many moons ago when I was doing my art degree at Winchester School of Art, I found a beautiful Victorian moth and butterfly collection in an old antique shop.  A sizable portion of my student loan was used to purchase the boxes and I've been in love with them ever since.  The moths have been used for many art projects and have  regularly been taken out, pinned, photographed, cut up, had holes put in the wings, had wings ripped off and so on... I've definitely had my money's worth out of them!
I am currently working on ideas surrounding decay and repair - and so the moths came out again and I have been photographing them to support my textile ideas.  The tweed was a junk shop find and I was thrilled to discover two or three moth holes in it - strange I know!

I am linking up with Mary over at Mosaic Monday 

Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Decay and Repair and ICAD Cards

Once again I've had a long unintended break from blogging, or doing any arty stuff at all in fact.  I've been waiting for surgery (quite minor), and have been in some discomfort and a rather grumpy frame of mind - I'm still waiting for a date to come through but in the meantime I've felt a little enthused now that the ICAD challenge has started again over at Daisy Yellow Art.  The idea is to make a little bit of art every single day on an index card - nothing precious just whatever takes your fancy!  I must admit I've not managed to work every day but I've done about six cards over a fortnight,  so I'm quite pleased with that achievement! 
Anyway, this is what is on my desk this week for WOYWW.

I'm using these index cards as a way of jotting down ideas about a long term project I'm doing on decay and repair.