This week, for WOYWW, I've been eco printing the last of my 'get well' flowers - it seemed such a shame to just chuck them in the bin while they still had a little life left!
Here are a few of my results and some instructions if anyone is interested.
I have been printing and dyeing with foliage on a very simple level for years - I love it and I always feel so excited at the moment the prints are revealed! The last time I did it I used a brick to add weight and hold down the layers of plants. However I recently came across a slightly different method of printing, using tiles and elastic bands when I visited the beautiful Interlaced-Textile Arts blog. Here is my version of printing using Marilyn's method (she can also be found on Facebook here and I can assure you that this extremely talented lady is well worth a visit!)
Firstly, soak some thick papers or card in warm water or white vinegar.
Lay a wall tile smooth side up and place the first sheet of card/paper on it.
Build up layers of card/papers with a variety of foliage in between the sheets.
Place a second wall tile on the pile, with the smooth side down and then firmly bind together with several elastic bands.
Place in a steamer and steam for one or two hours.
I picked up a very cheap steamer with two steaming pans and my husband cut out the bottom of the top one so the tiles would fit in it, which you can see in the picture below - I have to be very careful of the sharp edge. There are other ways without vandalising a perfectly good steamer! As I mentioned before you can use a brick or heavy stones to weigh down the pile of papers in the bottom of the pan, or use a matching sized saucepan as a makeshift lid, as Marilyn did, to cover the extra height of the tiles if the steamer is too shallow.